The Virginia Telemental Health Initiative (VTMHI) is a flexible program designed to help individuals pursuing a career in social work, counseling, or marriage and family therapy expedite their licensure requirements.
VTMHI clinical supervisees are paired with a clinical supervisor to achieve needed client contact hours and provide volunteer services to patients of Virginia’s free and charitable clinics. There are opportunities to earn primary supervision or supplementary hours, free training, and experience serving medically underserved clients while giving back to the community.
Clinical supervisees are expected to complete a minimum of three client contact hours each week. The hours will be set in partnership with the clinic to meet the needs of your schedule. All client appointments, supervision, and training requirements are conducted 100% online.
This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity. Supervision and educational opportunities will be provided at no cost to the volunteer.
What Current Clinical Supervisees Had to Say
“I love being able to see clients when it works with my schedule and being able to do it from home. I work late hours with VTMHI and my clients appreciate the flexibility of having a session at 7 or 8 p.m. The VTMHI staff are super supportive every step of the way. We have an amazing team and everyone has been nothing but kind and helpful.”
– Staci, VTMHI Clinical Supervisee
Eligibility requirements to be considered for program participation include:
- Education: Master’s degree in social work, counseling, or marriage and family therapy
- Actively seeking licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia (completed necessary paperwork)
- Able to commit to at least six (6) months of volunteer service and a minimum of approximately five (5) hours of work per week, including at least three (3) direct service hours
- Completed volunteer application
- Background and National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) checks
If you are licensed to practice in the state of Virginia and are interested in getting involved, visit https://virginiatelementalhealth.org/lmhp/.